Sunday 13 September 2020

Musings and the #KfcProposal

While scrolling through Twitter yesterday, I found this hashtag called #kfcproposal. I had no idea about it so I decided to find out. 10 minutes and a few tweets and articles later, I was in tears, showing their wedding video to my mother. I am a very emotional person and I have no shame in admitting that often times I do let my heart rule my head.

Before I go on, I’d definitely like to share the story behind the trending hashtag for those of you who might be unaware. 

A video had surfaced online showing Mkansi proposing Soldaat at a KFC outlet in South Africa. Apparently, he was made fun of by a few twitter users who received a lot of backlash for their negative comments (and rightfully so). However, a lot of people were touched by the proposal and the video was reshared a LOT of times. Many brands, from KFC to Audi, stepped up, offering to organise a special day for them. Finally, the couple was identified. And they walked down the aisle, again. 

They had their dream wedding. And as I went through the articles on them and the videos from their wedding (which took place in December, last year), I felt so happy. And I didn’t intend to cry. But when I called my mom from the other room to show her the video and tell her about their story, I teared up. 

My mom always says that good things happen to good people. I’m sure, a lot of people have said the same thing in a lot of ways. 

“Good things happen to good people”, “Nothing bad happens to good people”, it’s all the same. But I don’t think any other phrase can be so soothing and scary at the same time. We all want to believe that we’re good people. I don’t think anyone would be curled up on their sofa thinking they are mean or bad (this isn’t soap opera, right?). So how do we know if we’re good? Because unless we truly know that, how can we ever have a positive outlook? How do I know that, in the long run, everything will turn out to be just fine, if I don’t know whether I deserve a happy ending at all? It’s scary. And yet, if I’m not bad, I shouldn’t worry because it WILL be alright eventually. 

I think that’s food for some thought? Or maybe I’m just blabbering? 


Too many questions for today. 

Hehe! 

Have a good week ahead! 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Musings and the #KfcProposal