Friday 10 May 2013

#LifeOfAStudent Post 6 : Bunking

When you make a list of all the illegal stuff that students do, you'll find bunking right on top of the list! So, my 6th post under #LifeOfAStudent is about bunking classes!

We love getting free periods. Everyone jumps up with joy when they find out that a particular teacher's absent. But, such fairy tale- like moments are few. The teachers hardly ever are absent and most of the time, our free periods are taken up by some of the other subject teachers. Unfair? You bet! But, we as students have a solution for every problem(of course I am talking about the problems other than those in the maths book). The solution for no free periods and boring classes is... BUNKING!

You're bored sitting in the classroom. You have a look at your watch. The hands are stuck at 11.15 since the last 40 minutes. Slowly(you don't want the teacher to notice), you take out the diary to check which subject you have in the next period. "No!!!!", your body screams out in unison when they see History written under the 5th period column on Tuesday.But then the bulb lights up(not literally) and a mischievous grin spreads across your face. That is when you are going to bunk... :P

Neither am I an expert in bunking nor have I had any close interaction with someone who bunks regularly. So, I really can't say how can you  bunk. I think pretending to go to the washroom and staying there for eternity is something that you can do. But, it has two negative points. First, washroom's don't come on my list of good hang-out places. Second, in case you do decide to hang out in the bathroom for forty minutes(the length of a class), you'll need company. But, if you do take your friend(s) along, you might make your absence in the class noticeable.

You can go to the field. But, that's a risky area. If you are caught by the Games' teachers, you'll end up spending the entire day in front of the Principal's office. And that too doesn't come on my list of good hang-out places! :P

If you thought that I haven't ever bunked a class, you're wrong! You can stop gaping at the words you just read because I don't feel bunking an art class is much of a heroic deed. I had taken up art and painting as an extra class in school in standard 8 and 9. I had just Aru to bear that with me. So, when she decided to take part in the Farewell dance, all hell broke loose. I was never going to take part in the Farewell dance. But, I didn't want to bore myself to death in the art class either. It was my decision to go for art and painting, but I seriously repented my decision. Aru was the only good thing about it. We would chat away in the class. Uj was dancing too(that was obvious). Praga wasn't. So, we bunked our respective classes to watch their practice! 

Yep! I did bunk. 

I think I bunked my art classes on two consecutive Fridays. But, I don't think one can blame me for that. I guess my teacher thought that I was preparing my speech(I was the MC for the farewell, you see!). It took me an enormous amount of courage to bunk. And I remember, sticking to the door all the time. My eyes would always look outside. I was so scared that a teacher might turn up. 

On the last Friday before the Farewell, Praga and I were there in the school hall along with the entire group of dancers. No one was really practicing that day(They all were almost bunking). It was almost time for dismissal when someone said that one of our teachers is coming towards the hall! I was so damn scared. Praga too! We hid behind the first thing we could see in that empty hall : the pillar(it was wide enough to cover me). We stood there silently. We could hear the teacher speak to the dancers. For the first time, I really experienced that rush of adrenaline. But, the adrenaline was of waste as after a few minutes, the teacher left. Praga and I laughed so much after that and we still remember that day so well!

Thank God for the pillar! :P

That was my bunking experience. Even though, we weren't caught, it'll take me a greater amount of courage to do it again. Bunking's illegal. You miss out on your classes and surely you would regret later. But, bunking an art class is no harm. I still received an A at the end of the year! :P


P.S : My bunking experience should remain a secret between us. Promise?

2 comments:

  1. It wasn't in the hall! It was in the bio lab! :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. I realised that! :P But, at that time it was as good as the hall(with all the tables cleared away)! :P

    ReplyDelete

Musings and the #KfcProposal