Saturday 25 May 2013

#LifeOfAStudent Post 15 : Names ;)

Before I begin with this topic, I'd like to thank Pragati for giving me the idea of a topic that I could write on. Happy, Pragati? :P

"What's in a name?" was something that Shakespeare said in his play Romeo & Juliet. Dear Shakespeare, I think you were wrong when you said that. Let me explain why I just said so in my 15th post...

I know I probably will end up in trouble if my teachers come to know about it, but, I guess they already know. ;) Students create a lot of things during their school life. From disasters in the chemistry lab to new methods of cheating in the exams to names. Yes! Names! But, don't worry, we don't create names for new-born babies but for our fellow friends and teachers! And these names have a lot of meaning in them, contrary to what Shakespeare said. :P

It's a skill in which almost every student holds a master's degree. The ones who don't are just well, teacher's pets. But, I bet they too have given names to their teachers in their mind(although they consider themselves too good to use them in public). But, giving a special name to a student or a teacher isn't easy. It's not that you can give any name. You'll have to think of a name that will be used by all other students for years and years. You need to observe that person for weeks before you suggest a name. :P

We have some really crazy, stupid and yet funny names for all our teachers. But, nope, I am not going to share them with you. Not here anyway. ;) Once a good name has been created, you'll find every student using it. And usually, none of us will know who coined it.

I think the teachers know about these names. There's no way they are unaware after all, they always "know what's going on"(or atleast that's what they keep saying). We give names to students as well. They are funny too but probably not as hilarious as the ones we give to our teachers.

The names that are given are not really code-names because of two reasons. First, everyone knows who are we referring to. Second, the names are actually derived from the actual names of the teachers/students(usually). All you need to do is remove a few letters or add some new ones to get a new name. You would say that is derivation not creation. But, I would still call it creation and so would every student. So, you won't stand a chance! :P

Why do we give names? Is it because students like insulting/making fun of  the teachers or other students? Not at all! I heard this somewhere that we refer to people by their first names if we know them well. And I think that we call people by their special names if we're closer to them. I know that's a stupid justification for giving names. But, I just felt like I owed one as a student.

So, that'll be the end of my 15th post. Goodbye readers!

P.S : Don't use the 'special' names when you are asking for a teacher, okay? That'll land you straight in hell. :P




No comments:

Post a Comment

Musings and the #KfcProposal