Friday 31 May 2013

#LifeOfAStudent Post 18 : Subjects II

This is a continuation of my previous post... In post 17 of #LifeOfAStudent I wrote about four subjects(Maths, Physics, Biology and Chemistry). In this one I am going to talk about 3 other subjects. So, let's continue from where we left.. :)

English : Till class eight, I never used to study after 7 pm for a subject like literature. But, that was till class eight only. In nine, we had to face our nightmare : Shakespeare's As You Like It. Contrary to the name of the play, it had nothing according to our likes. The language was new and twisty! Interpreting the sentences by ourselves was so difficult! Some of the words had meanings that we would have never come up with. Cousin meant niece in one act and in another we were told that a courtier would love to roam around in the attire of a fool! It was crazy! English Grammar is again something that you can't really prepare for. Some of my friends just turn the pages randomly a day before the exam. I'm not of that kind. I make sure I practice a little. I love writing essays but only when the topic is interesting. I think I love writing picture compositions. According to me, my best essay will be the one I wrote in my 9th standard final term exam. ^_^ I like reading stories too, especially the ones which take an unprecedented turn towards the end. The poems in our books are good(some of them). I like the poems which have a deep meaning hidden in between the lines & not the ones describing a river or the ones that describe how poets do not describe the river properly! -_-
I think I have liked almost all of my English teachers. One of them, indirectly, motivated me to take part in my first elocution ever! :)

History & Civics : oooolllllllllllllllllppppjjjjjjjjjjjlljljlj.. Oops! Sorry I dozed off  and my face got pressed against the keyboard. :P Such is the magic of this subject. You open the book and your eyes start to get shut. But, now, I am awake and ready to write on the subject. Do excuse me if I doze off again. ;) If you're one of those persons who finds History or Civics interesting, I feel pity for you. I have had the privilege of meeting people with such issues(mental issue :P ). I think they are just mad! :P "To know our present we need to know our past". But, so many of us will not even be able to name the hospital we were born in! I find history very boring! Sometimes, reading about revolutions and freedom struggles can be interesting. But, only sometimes! :P The thing I dislike the most is that every dynasty has almost the same story and the same end! -_- I believe, back then, they had a severe shortage of names. The kings would either use their names for their new-born princes by adding a number for a change(Eg : Henry III, Henry VI, etc) or they would name their princes after their grandfather's or great - grandfather's name. I understand sentiments but names like Alaudin Khilji,  Qutb-ud-din Aibak are not that easy to remember! -_- Civics is History's identical twin. It's just as annoying and boring! I seriously don't see the need to learn up the political, legislative, administrative functions of the Union Parliament or anyone else!! I also feel pity for the teachers who teach such subjects. They might be the most lively people in real life but within the four walls of our classroom and with History and Civics textbooks in their hands, they appear like boring people sent from heaven to make us fall into a deep sleep! :P No matter how hard they try to make the class interesting, they'll always find children sleeping in their class!

Geography : If civics is history's identical twin, then geography is it's cousin. Geography can be interesting for me when we study about forces of nature. But, otherwise, I find it pretty boring too! I mean what am I supposed to do by knowing where alluvial soil is found or where will I find oak trees because I am not planning to end up sowing seeds and harvesting crops after college. And besides, what's the point in learning up this information. It'll always be available on Google or Wikipedia! ;) I believe it will be more interesting to know about the culture and important places of a country rather than the average rainfall in different parts of it. -_- The teachers again fail to make the class interesting...

Well, with that I end my views on the subjects we are taught at school. I think it's pretty obvious which ones I'll be giving up next year. ;D Have you decided yet? ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Musings and the #KfcProposal